- Date: February 13, 2024 (as of today, no further developments have been reported)
- Appeal: Sharad Pawar, founder of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), has appealed to the Supreme Court against the Election Commission’s (EC) February 2023 decision recognizing the faction led by his nephew Ajit Pawar as the “real” party.
- Original EC Decision: The EC sided with Ajit Pawar’s faction based on their control over the party’s symbol and organizational structure. This decision effectively ousted Sharad Pawar from the party leadership.
- Supreme Court Hearing: The Supreme Court has not yet scheduled a hearing date for the appeal.
- Significance: The outcome of this case will have significant implications for the NCP’s future direction and national politics, particularly in Maharashtra.
The legal battle between Sharad Pawar and Ajit Pawar highlights the complexities of party leadership disputes and the role of the Election Commission in such matters. The Supreme Court’s verdict will be crucial in determining the NCP’s legitimacy and its role in the upcoming 2024 Lok Sabha elections.
Top News Articles